Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The year was 1843






THis is a picture of the back of our shop bldg on our property .. I am working on
a crackled frame for a Halloween shadowbox swap -- I really do not like to have my picture made --and truly was not dressed or made up for the occasion -- My hub and the boys (men ) worked to add the backporch and roof - so that on good days -- He could leave the door open without getting the floor wet -- altho he does have airconditioning -- He loves the days he can leave it open -- and when he takes a lemonade break now, He can rock in the antique rocker .
This building was the original homeplace built in 1843 -- it has a long front portion that is shaped shaped like a "T" -- Hub has his woodworking shop in the back --
No one ever enters the front -- The house is across the field beside our house and you have to go by car , on the farm road behind our house . --
This building could tell of soldiers passing by on there march to the sea from Atlanta -- we have had many stories handed down to us from the original family that owned it -- It also has an upstairs --and the story goes of campfires on the creek
'being viewed from the windows by the children who slept there - and those with the campfire were CREEK Indians -
We are both such History buffs and have done lots of geneology work on Hubs family . That is why we looked for an older House to restore many years ago -- and it along with several homes in our community( as well as the HOme we live in - a turn of the century Home and also belonged to the desendants of the 1843 house ) are in a registered Historic district -
wow, was amazed at all the work and submissions that had to be made to accomplish that .
When we moved here we only had a dtr --12 yrs old -- and then God blessed us with two boys -- They are in the pics, tired from a very Hot day -- but so glad to help Dad -- with his porch-- He has a lot of architectural talent -- and will be working soon on A historical house in the Atlanta area -- for a Community house --
A lot of time he is meeting , bidding and writing contracts -- ( a blessing in this economy )--but he says the best days are when he can put on a tool belt and at the end of the project --have someone see the dream in their mind realized .
Oh by the way -- He is a stickler for detail --*** the board is out because we had to call the extension agent to find out how to safely remove the wall full of bees -- and the comb -- was a little dangerous when they were swarming . Will be replaced soon -- The sills on this house were two feet thick and made of heart pine -- It was so hard to drill into to bolt the wood to it -HUb said was almost like petrified wood --
My grand - Dog just had to get in the picture -- He loves to come for avisit and love to play fetch with a piece of wood --SO cute and sweet too .

7 comments:

Unknown said...

What a handsome family you have. I love the original house. That porch with those rockers look like a perfect spot to work in. Of course in the South (I live in Florida) you really have to wait for those good days and then enjoy them with much relish. Thanks for sharing your history.
Tracy

vivian said...

great pictures!
hey~ finally .. I mailed your package today! should have it with in 3 days!
hugs
vivian

The Feathered Nest said...

What a wonderful post sweet Kathy!!! and amazing history as well...it's so great to see you too...and of course, you're creating! hugs and love, Dawn

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy, I noticed your comment on Miss Sandy's blog and that you are from GA. Me too! I enjoyed seeing your 1843 homeplace. What a wonderful place to work and enjoy the grand dog!

Cindy said...

Its wonderful! He will truly enjoy it all once it is completed. So very good of your handsome and sweet sons to do. Wonderful history and you are adding to it!

-c
yapping

ps...a little top hat would be tooo cute, but awfully hard! I was thinking along those lines as well, with a giant jump ring for a monocle! LOL.

Cottage Rose said...

Hi Kathy; Wow I love to get into History too... how exciting to find out such wonderful things about your home... Love the photos,, the building is really great,,, and you have a very handsome family by the way.. oh and the grand dog too..lol

Hugs;
Alaura

Vicki said...

Hi, Kathy,
I enjoyed reading the history of your workshop and property. I also enjoyed getting to meet you and your family. I am new to your blog, and I enjoyed my visit very much. I love your blog banner! Halloween is my favorite holiday. Please drop by for a visit at Bunny Cottage if you have an opportunity. Sending autumn blessings your way. Vicki